Saturday, December 5, 2009

Homemade Caramels

This recipe is from melvira over at cakecentral...And OH MY GOSH...is it ever good!!!! Have you ever made something that after you made it you went "oops I shouldn't have cause its so good I won't stay out of it"? HA!!! yep this is it!!! man this stuff is crazy good!!

.JPG">

- 2 Sticks of Butter
- 2 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Cup light corn syrup
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla



I melted the butter first on low heat, then after it was completely melted I added ALL the other ingredients at once except for the vanilla, stirring until it was completely incorporated, I also turned the heat to medium, but I would suggest keeping it just a smidgen above low because I got a few specks of something that looked like I just about burnt it!!! But I saved it!! thank goodness!!!

This was kind of like the Toffee as you have to stand there for quite awhile stirring, I think that this is a little more forgiving though. This recipe could be used for caramel apples, caramel sauce for desserts anything really that you can do with caramel!!! 240 degrees is soft stage and I would use this for apples, 245 degrees is medium stage and I'm not sure what this should be used for..anybody have suggestions?? and 250 degrees is what I took this to. As soon as it comes to the temp that your wanting, remove from heat and add the vanilla, then pour into a 9x13 pan lined with parchment paper slightly greased(I just sprayed lightly with pam) it will take awhile to set up probably overnight. I couldn't wait and snuck some of it about an hour later (shh!;) I put it in the fridge and it sped up a little, but the next morning it was set up beautifully. 250 produced and really nice soft caramel that holds it shape well.

Now if I was really Crafty and had lots of imagination(which I have neither!!) I would wrap these in little pretty foils and give them as gifts in my Xmas plates. I may go to wal-mart today and see what I can find, I might just surprise myself!!

These are pretty easy and sooooo freakin good!! Thanks melvira!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment