Monday, December 28, 2009

pumpkin roll

These are something that my family makes every year for Christmas and New years!! They are a perfect addition to your "snacky" new years meal!! my mom is the first one that started these and then my sister and I both now make them every year!! They are so yummy!! If you decide to give these a try, make sure you have the recipe on hand to give everyone, because they will want to have it!!!!



You will want to prepare a cookie sheet that has a rim around the edges, so none of those flat cookie pans will work for this...line your pan with either aluminum foil or parchment paper and spray with non stick cooking spray.
-3 eggs
-1 cup sugar
-2/3 cup pumpkin
-1 tsp lemon juice
-1/2 tsp salt
-3/4 Cup flour
-2 tsp cinnamon
-1 tsp ginger
-1/2 tsp nutmeg
-1 tsp baking powder

in separate bowl whisk together dry ingredients except sugar, in mixer bowl beat eggs for 5 minutes on high. slowly add sugar, stir in pumpkin and lemon juice. Fold in dry ingredients, bake at 375on prepared cookie sheet making sure to get your batter into corners of cookie sheet, bake for 15 minutes.
When its done it will be spongy to the touch but not to brown. immediately remove from cookie sheet and roll up in the parchment paper jelly roll style. I used to roll it up in a kitchen towel covered in powdered sugar, but I felt that this was kinda unsanitary even though it was a clean towel it still had fuzzes that I was worried would make it into the roll, so this time I used the parchment paper. I also dusted it with powdered sugar, it worked fine but next time I will not use the powdered sugar as it created condensation and made the cake a little wet, it was fine in the end though. When its cooled completely unroll from paper and fill with the cream cheese filling, then roll back up and cut with dental floss or thread. Dust again with a little powdered sugar..yum!!!!


Cream Cheese Filling recipe
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 T. butter softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
cream together with mixer until smooth and creamy

1 comment:

  1. I made a cake roll once and completely destroyed it. I have not since made an attempt- too much TLC- it takes a gentle, patient hand. Way to go, looks like you've got it!

    ReplyDelete